The treatment of infertility with acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) dates back 2,000 years ago. These ancient, time-tested techniques improve fertility rates and support a woman's whole body, unlocking unlimited potential for health, healing and childbearing.
Clinical Trials Support Acupuncture
A 2016 study in UK reported acupuncture treatment may double the pregnancy rate of IVF cycle. In 2016, a study published by Homerton University Hospital, in London UK, found that rates of success were doubled among those couples who underwent acupuncture treatment than those who didn’t. The study involved 160 couples who were having fertility problems. Half of them underwent acupuncture sessions during their IVF cycle. When the scientists checked a year later, those couples who had acupuncture achieved pregnancy rates of 46.2 per cent. Meanwhile, those who did not have acupuncture had pregnancy rates of 21.7 per cent.
Studies reported by The American Pregnancy Association suggest that the most effective fertility treatments involve a combination of acupuncture, herbal medicine, and traditional medical interventions. However, conception does sometimes occur without traditional medical interventions when acupuncture and herbal medicines are used alone.1 Researchers from Weill Cornell Medical Centre in New York reviewed recent studies and concluded that acupuncture helps to:
- Increase blood flow to the uterus, which improves the chances of an ovum implanting on the uterine wall.
- Reduce anxiety and stress. The hormones that are secreted during stressful situations can significantly decrease fertility.
- Normalize hormone and endocrine systems that regulate ovulation, especially in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome.
- Positively affect the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis, which plays a key role in fertility.
- Regulate menstrual cycle.2
In a 2007 study, researchers found that acupuncture may improve the quality of life in patients undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF). It was also found that women receiving acupuncture reported significantly less abdominal pain, other pain, nausea, and stress two hours after oocyte aspiration (egg collection) compared to women receiving conventional analgesia.3 In 2008, the British Medical Journal published research which concluded that acupuncture can be offered as a significant, clinically relevant adjunct to IVF, relaxing the uterus and increasing blood flow for the successful implantation of an embryo within the uterine lining.4
Can Acupuncture and Chinese medicine assist males in this case?
Male infertility may be one of the most common reasons for couples to seek IVF treatment. According to British Acupuncture Council, some clinical trials suggest that acupuncture may:
- Improve sperm motility (Dieterle 2009),
- Increase sperm count (Siterman 2009, Siterman 2001)
- Improve sperm quality (Pei 2005; Gurfinkel 2003)
- bring a beneficial effect on psychogenic erectile dysfunction (Engelhardt 2003) (6)
Since the cycle of sperm regeneration takes approximately 2.5 months to 3 months to complete, our healthcare professionals will put that into consideration, and develop a treatment plan that’s suitable for your conditions. Your healthcare professional may provide acupuncture treatment, herbal medicine; give you advice for your lifestyle such as diets and exercise.
We offer holistic acupuncture treatments
The fertility treatments either for natural pregnancy or IVF assistance offered by City Acupuncture are minimally-invasive:
- Acupuncture and herbal remedies are employed for clinical treatment;
- Qi Gong exercises may be recommended;
- Lifestyle or dietary changes are advised if necessary;
- Pathology tests may be required for analysis of blood or semen;
- Surgery may in some cases be recommended.
- Before their pregnancy, for hormonal regulation and reproductive system improvement;
- First trimester care for healthier embryo growth and prevention of miscarriage or complications;
- Postpartum care to help with the mother’s labour recovery, breast milk secretion and their general health.
Our clinic has implemented strict quality control practice standards, for herbal medicine, by requiring all medicine to have met stringent quality control systems. They are then custom prepared for each patient and given in a convenient formulation for consumption.
Hundreds of couples have realised their dreams of a baby through acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine provided by our clinic. If you are having difficulties with having a baby, give acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine a try. You may be pleasantly surprised with the results.
- American Pregnancy Association. http://www.americanpregnancy.org/infertility/acupuncture.htm.
- Five ways acupuncture can boost fertility. Prevention.com. 2002.
- Alternative Therapies, May/June 2007, Vol. 13 No.3.
- Manheimer, E., et. al. Effects of acupuncture on rates of pregnancy and live birth among women undergoing in vitro fertilization: systematic review and meta-analysis. British Medical Journal. February 2008;336:545-549.
Infertility Acupuncture - We Help Both Women and Men
Start with fertility planning and assistance by acupuncture and Chinese medicine, timing is critical, we work with your schedule to form treatment plan for your fertility treatments.