The treatment of infertility with acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) dates back 2,000 years. These ancient, time-tested techniques improve fertility rates and support a woman’s whole body, unlocking unlimited potential for health, healing and childbearing.
Studies reported by The American Pregnancy Association suggest that the most effective fertility treatments involve a combination of acupuncture, herbal medicine, and traditional medical interventions. However, conception does sometimes occur without traditional medical interventions when acupuncture and herbal medicines are used alone.1 Researchers from Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York reviewed recent studies and concluded that acupuncture helps to:
- Increase blood flow to the uterus, which improves the chances of an ovum implanting on the uterine wall.
- Reduce anxiety and stress. The hormones that are secreted during stressful situations can significantly decrease fertility.
- Normalize hormone and endocrine systems that regulate ovulation, especially in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome.
- Positively affect the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis, which plays a key role in fertility.
- Regulate menstrual cycle.2
In a 2007 study, researchers found that acupuncture may improve the quality of life in patients undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF). It was also found that women receiving acupuncture reported significantly less abdominal pain, other pain, nausea, and stress two hours after oocyte aspiration (egg collection) compared to women receiving conventional analgesia.3 In 2008, the British Medical Journal published research which concluded that acupuncture can be offered as a significant, clinically relevant adjunct to IVF, relaxing the uterus and increasing blood flow for the successful implantation of an embryo within the uterine lining.4
We offer holistic acupuncture treatments
The fertility treatments either for natural pregnancy or IVF assistance offered by City Acupuncture are minimally-invasive:
- Acupuncture and herbal remedies are employed for clinical treatment;
- Qi Gong exercises may be recommended;
- Lifestyle or dietary changes are advised if necessary;
- Pathology tests may be required for analysis of blood or semen;
- Surgery may in some cases be recommended.
Our patient enters regular care using acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine. The treatments are used for different stages of pregnancy:
- Before their pregnancy, for hormonal regulation and reproductive system improvement
- First trimester care for healthier embryo growth and prevention of miscarriage or complications
- Postpartum care to help with the mother’s labour recovery, breast milk secretion and their general health.
Our clinic has implemented strict quality control practice standards, for herbal medicine, by requiring all medicine to have met stringent quality control systems. They are then custom prepared for each patient and given in a convenient form for consumption.
Hundreds of couples have realised their dreams of a baby through acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine provided by our clinic.
If you are having difficulties with having a baby, give acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine a try. You may be pleasantly surprised with the results.
- American Pregnancy Association. http://www.americanpregnancy.org/infertility/acupuncture.htm.
- Five ways acupuncture can boost fertility. Prevention.com. 2002.
- Alternative Therapies, May/June 2007, Vol. 13 No.3.
- Manheimer, E., et. al. Effects of acupuncture on rates of pregnancy and live birth among women undergoing in vitro fertilization: systematic review and meta-analysis. British Medical Journal. February 2008;336:545-549.