"As soon as we notice that certain types of events 'like' to cluster together at certain times, we begin to understand the Chinese, whose theories of medicine, philosophy, and even building are based on a 'science' of meaningful coincidences." - Marie-Louise von Franz
Anyone who suffers from chronic fatigue receives little understanding usually but scepticism or criticism in abundance. Unless someone has experienced it, the condition is easy to dismiss as imaginary. However, it is all too real to people who have it. Most illnesses have specific causes and effects that the medical community can diagnose and treat, but chronic fatigue does not behave so predictably. As skilled professionals in Adelaide for more than 20 years, we offer acupuncture for adrenal fatigue as a different approach. We understand the symptoms that our patients present, and we do something about them.
Understanding Our Differences
At Adelaide City Acupuncture, we bring the wisdom of ancient Chinese medicine to the treatment of all types of chronic fatigue. Our therapists treat headache and migraine suffering in the Adelaide metro area as well. From our location in the Central Business District, we honour the 3,000-year history of acupuncture in the tradition of Chinese medicine.We offer traditional acupuncture or pain free laser acupuncture in a pleasant environment. With a long view of Chinese medicine, we offer relief to sufferers of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).
The benefits of our natural and safe treatment have no drug side effects. Our Chinese herbs for chronic fatigue produce relief without harmful results. Anyone who copes with the ailment deserves relief instead of a run-around. Delays and lack of understanding can worsen some of the hardest aspects of the condition. Sufferers who tire of seeking medical treatment that does not work can turn to acupuncture. We offer relief from enduring pain and discomfort that often occur with chronic fatigue syndrome.
Searching for a Cure
Many people who need treatment for relief from CFS do not know that no one understands its cause. In a search for medical help, they may realise that a cure for the condition does not exist. On the way to that discovery, most patients endure a lack of understanding from the medical community. Western medicine has a great record of finding cures for dread diseases, and many involve drugs and surgery.
When the treatments for CFS fail, patients may feel that no one believes them or understands their problem. At Adelaide City Acupuncture, we welcome patients to our alternative treatment of acupuncture for chronic fatigue. We often find that patients respond very well to our treatment with Chinese herbs for chronic fatigue. Each of our treatments supports the others to build a network of relief. While we hope for a breakthrough that finds a cause and cure for CFS, we know that it lies in the distance. We offer our patients an alternative to the pain and suffering that damages the lives of Adelaide residents every day.
Coping with Debilitating Conditions
As a burden for anyone who has chronic fatigue syndrome, the lack of a reason for the condition makes it even more difficult to bear. Millions of people live with it every day, always having to contend with problems that do not affect others. While most people may have occasional tiredness, they can rest for a little while or overnight and return to normal. For those who have CFS, the feeling of exhaustion always drags down on energy, physical performance, memory and mental activities.
The adrenal glands, two triangular glands on top of the kidneys, are responsible for the production and release of cortisol in response to stress. If an individual suffers from chronic stress or manages stress poorly, the function of the adrenal glands will be affected, resulting in adrenal insufficiency or adrenal fatigue. Clinical manifestations including anxiety, depression, fatigue, intolerance for stress, increased allergy and sensitivity to foods and chemicals, and a tendency to feel cold.
Our acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine Tui-na massage and cupping treatments are designed treat patients who are “burned out,” with symptoms of premature ageing, fatigue, no energy, lack of interest, drive, and satisfaction. Such conditions may be caused by excessive stress, anxiety, tension, overwork, and lack of rest. From the traditional Chinese medicine perspective, there is an excessive consumption of qi, blood, yin, yang, and Kidney jing (essence), accompanied by deficiency of Spleen, Stomach, Heart and Kidney.
Living with Persistent Symptoms
The symptoms that appear in a diagnosis of CFS may include anxiety, body aches, dizziness and stomach problems. Some patients report low blood pressure, weight loss, and poor sleep. However, the symptoms may appear normal even in the presence of adrenal fatigue. Some theories about CFS blame the condition on the loss of function by the adrenal glands. We offer adrenal fatigue treatment to improve the condition.
The strange nature of the ailment and the way that it shows up now and then frustrate anyone who seeks relief. The apparent lack of knowledge about CFS by the medical community can make the matter more difficult. At Adelaide City Acupuncture, we assure our patients that we believe them when we conduct initial examination. Our patients can trust our skill and plain talk throughout our adrenal fatigue treatment program.
Considering Some Potential Lifestyle Changes
Many patients consider some lifestyle changes that can make a difference in the level of discomfort that they experience. Medical treatment for these conditions may alleviate exhaustion that resembles CFS, and patients can engage in habits that promote a healthy lifestyle with the possibility of reversing constant feelings of exhaustion and fatigue. While they may not seem like dramatic changes, each one has the potential to offer an incentive to the body that provides a measure of relief.
- Increase the consumption of fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, seeds, and nuts.
- Eat more fish and fish oils, onions, garlic, olives, olive oil, herbs, spices, yogurt, fiber, and tofu or other soy products.
- Sea vegetables, such as kelp and dulse, replenish the body with minerals like magnesium, potassium, calcium, iodine, and iron.
- Ensure adequate intake of vitamin B complex to process and utilise energy.
- Decrease intake of alcohol, fats, and highly processed foods.
- Avoid the use of stimulants, such as coffee, caffeine, and high-sugar products.
- Food allergies or chemical hypersensitivity can drain energy and cause fatigue. Additional tests are necessary to rule out allergy and/or hypersensitivity.
The Tao of Nutrition by Dr. Maoshing Ni and Cathy McNease:
- Tendency of feeling cold: Consume warming foods such as chicken, lamb, scallions, sesame seeds, fish, baked tofu, soybeans, walnuts, eggs, lentils, black beans, lotus seeds, a little wine, ginger, cinnamon bark tea.
- Tendency of feeling hot or hot flushes: Consume cooling foods such as mulberries, apples, peaches, pears, fresh vegetables, mung beans, soybeans, tofu, soy sprouts, chrysanthemum flowers.
- Get regular exercise and adequate rest.
- For relaxation and better sleep, take a warm bath for about 20 minutes before bedtime. Sea salt or Epsom salt can also be added.
- Engage in activities such as tai chi chuan [tai ji chuan], walking, or meditation that allow calming of the mind without creating stagnation or excessive fatigue.
Summarising Our Approach
Adrenal insufficiency or low adrenal functions are general terms used here to describe individuals who have premature ageing or are “burned out,” with fatigue, no energy, lack of interest, lack of drive and satisfaction. These conditions affect overall health, and often lead to diminished mental and physical functions.
Adrenal insufficiency technically and specifically refers to conditions such as Addison’s disease. Such serious conditions are often treated with various types of intravenous or oral adrenocortical hormones. Though effective, they often have a great number of side effects, including immune suppression, increased frequency of and decreased resistance to infections, decreased or blurred vision etc.. Therefore, unless the patients are diagnosed with the biomedical condition of adrenal cortical hypo-function, potent drugs such as adrenocortical hormones are not used.
Acupuncture and herbal medicine used in our CFS treatment protocol have functions to regulate the endocrine system, stimulate the adrenal glands, and improve mental and physical functions. Though herbs do not treat specific and serious conditions such as Addison’s disease, they do offer excellent preventative and treatment effects for individuals who are “burned out,” with fatigue, no energy, lack of interest, lack of drive and satisfaction. Most importantly, herbal therapy has a significantly better safety profile in comparison with drug treatments.
Scheduling an Appointment
Adelaide City Acupuncture offers access to an easy to reach location in the CBD by private and public transport. We accept appointments at lunch or before or after work to treat all types of acute or chronic pain. Patients can receive adrenal fatigue treatment and prevent loss of time from work with our pleasing alternative. Our online booking form lets clients get an appointment for acupuncture with or without laser and Chinese herbalism. Our friendly staff welcomes patients to call our office at (08) 8221 5880 to schedule a visit.
We Can Help With Other Conditions
Call us today at (08) 8221 5880
For All Your Natural Health Needs!
Time Honoured Modalities We Use
– Multi-modalities of natural therapies are used
The innovative laser needle for acupuncture, therapy of deep tissue layers and laser blood irradiation (non-invasive)
Traditional disposable fine needles used to insert into acupuncture points delivering stimulation to meridians to treat disorders.
Easy taking cGMP granulated Chinese herbal medicine is used for treating disorders systemically together with acupuncture.
Chinese style remedial massage for muscular stiffness, pain and internal disorders being used in conjunction with acupuncture.
Balanced nutritions with good eating and life style modification are critical for recovery from illness.
We use traditional fire cupping in treating muscular pain, sports injuries and skin disorders.
Clearing toxin through gentle scoop sliding on the skin create light bruising to treat various disorders.
Tai Chi / Qi Gong
Tai Chi for health cultivation being used in our clinic and taught to our patients for their self practice.
- Afari N, Buchwald D. Chronic fatigue syndrome: a review. Am J Psychiatry 2003;160:221-36.
- Cairns R, Hotopf M. A systematic review describing the prognosis of chronic fatigue syndrome. Occup Med (Oxford) 2005;55:20-31.
- Gur A. Oktayoglu P. Central nervous system abnormalities in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome: New concepts in treatment. Current Pharmaceutical Design 2008; 14: 1274-94.
- Harvey SB et al. The relationship between prior psychiatric disorder and chronic fatigue: evidence from a national birth cohort study. Psychol Med 2008;38:933-40.
- Reid S et al. Chronic fatigue syndrome. BMJ Clinical Evidence. Search date September 2007.
- What to do about medically unexplained symptoms. DTB 2001; 39: 5-8.
- White P et al. Predictions and associations of fatigue syndromes and mood disorders that occur after infectious mononucleosis. Lancet 2001;358:1946-54.
- McCrone P et al. The economic cost of chronic fatigue and chronic syndrome in UK primary care. Psychological Medicine 2003; 33: 253-61.